Monday, September 27, 2010

Sweet Misery - A Poisoned World

Last night I watched a fascinating documentary on the history of Aspartame suggested to me by my great friend, Allie, who also happens to be my partner-in-crime at CSUN.  Sugar-additives are a very hot topic right now (well...always have been) and I find that most people often ask me about the sugar-additives they can and can't have.  Since most people shun the high-caloric drinks, many take refuge in the "no calorie, no sugar"versions of the same drink such as Diet Coke, Diet Snapple, Crystal Light, any soda with a ZERO in the name, etc, etc.  This lengthy food list that uses Aspartame as a "sweetener" also includes chewing gum, yogurt, nutritional bars, gelatin, Equal, Nutra-Sweet, cereals, juice drinks, maple syrup, candy and my personal favorite, vegetable juices.  When did we find the need to start sweetening vegetables???!!!!????!!

Aspartame is composed of three chemical constituents - Aspartic Acid, Phenylalanine, & Methyl Ester.  Please know that when methyl ester breaks down in the human body it becomes methanol - a wood alcohol that is highly poisonous - and then converted to formaldehyde, which the body can not get rid of and I do hope you know that formaldehyde is an embalming agent.  For dead people.  That said, research has found that Aspartame has a severe effect on the neurological system, more specifically, targeting the brain which would explain the 10% increase of brain tumors the year after Aspartame was introduced (1984).  

Now without going into more details about the documentary because I think everyone should watch it to become educated, I did find it worth mentioning that during clinical trials before the drug was approved by the FDA, G.D. Searle & Company botched, and falsely reported the effect that Aspartame had on their animal subjects.  For instance, the researchers would cut out tumors the rats developed (before the FDA had a chance to review the subjects) and report that the sweetener caused no side effects on the animals.  Hmmmmm....shady.  Also, Donald Rumsfeld was the President of G.D. Searle from 1977 to the time Aspartame was approved (1983).  More shadiness.

Here's my opinion - the purer the better and everything in moderation.  I really try to stay away from anything with Aspartame.  Nature didn't intend on us drinking chemicals in our beverages.  Sure....I love the occasional Fresca (I know...so random and so 1990's) but I don't consume diet drinks and I ALWAYS read the label.  Especially for yogurt.  Protect your body.  And watch the documentary. :)

Here's to no more "sugar free" crap!

Jill

2 comments:

  1. So I've been drinking Starbucks with sugar free syrup for over a year now. I checked and I think Torani syrups are made with Splenda...is this any better or pretty much the same thing?? Now I have no idea what to do....

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the Amazing Food Detective, I am on your band wagon girl! You should also look at a couple articles I'll bring you on Splenda...which turns into chlorine in your kidneys and pancreas! yuck! I was a huge fan of the documentary too! Those chemicals also cut off receptors in the brain so that you don't feel full and eat more! Your body is tricked by the taste of sweet and expects calories, so you compensate. CRAZY STUFF! Thanks for posting this I can't wait to read your next entry!

    ReplyDelete